The Spark Mill is dedicated to nonprofit sustainability. We understand that while mission and impact are the heart and soul of a nonprofit, there are many integral parts behind the scenes that make the magic happen. Beyond defining your mission and establishing metrics to measure your impact, it is essential that you nurture your people. Yes, your people are your volunteers, donors and supporters, but your people are first and foremost your staff.
The hardworking nonprofiteer that is daily putting your mission into action – teaching parents financial literacy, educating teens on healthy lifestyle choices, providing meals to hungry children, answering phones, or writing grants. And yet, many nonprofit executives neglect or lack any formal strategic talent development or career progression plan for their staff – and to their loss:
- Development attracts and retains – employees will stay longer, saving on expenses related to turnover and loss of productivity.
- Development increases performance – employees will contribute more and in different ways.
- Development boosts morale and engagement – a key performance indicator for organizational success.
Locally, we have an amazing resource! YNPN RVA seeks to fulfill the professional development and leadership void experienced by young and early career nonprofit professional by providing them with:
- a better understanding of the nonprofit sector in which they work
- connections to peers and seasoned professionals
- career planning and advancement insights
- resources and tools to develop as a professional
We recently loved being at YNPN RVA’s Ask an Expert Social on Thursday April 27th from 5:30-7:30pm at Triple Crossing Brewery in Fulton.
YNPN RVA, powered by ConnectVA, is the local chapter of the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network that works to promote an efficient, viable, and inclusive nonprofit sector that supports the growth, learning, and development of the young and early-career professionals. These are all attributes that The Spark Mill values, which is why we were excited to support and participate in this event.
Check them out for more information.